KWOL in the Rolling Ridges

I've been wondering lately where the line between church planting and missional living really is when applied to #KWOL(Kingdom way of living).  In particular, I have this sense that I've been more missionally involved in leadership in the last year than I have in many many years and yet I'm not an active leader within my church.

In Richmond,  I do plenty of teaching.  I get to sing and perform and share my talents on stage.  I do hospital visits and intentional care for friends and family and our family even spent an entire vacation visiting our ministry friends from early in our marriage.  Yet... My children continue to have transformational missions experiences in the hills of the Appalachian mountains. I think I want something simpler and more complex at the same time.

I feel a particular call to return to ministry leadership in those hills, with some colleagues from the past. I want to plant a church, and move my life to a simpler more impactful place with people in those hills.

The questions are...

  • If we change our focus back to the institutional church model, will our ministry impact actually diminish?  I would certainly have less resources, but a smaller group of deeper relationships growing together and teaching, and experiencing... has to be progress.  
  • Can we actually build a more relevant KWOL church without succumbing to the temptation of institutional ego?  I have to believe that we can do better than the modernist mindsets I've seen so often in churches over the last decade. 


I find my mind stuck on recent discussions around the modern and post-modern mess in ministry and the church.  My notes confuse me as much as inspire me.  Am I joining God in his work or am I creating a local missions fiction to meet my own passions and desires.  Time will tell the end of this tale.

When we are struggling... that is when God is nearest, because that is when we let our guards down and embrace the "poorness of our spirit"


"The poor in spirit see and are glad — Oh, you God-seekers, take heart!"
Psalm 69:32(MSG)

“You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule." Matthew 5:3(MSG)


Recent Resources and Influences:  Interrupted by Jen Hatkins,  Isaiah 58,  Matthew 25,  and the Kingdom way of life study group and materials.  

Comments

Woody DelCorso said…
Question #1 Answer: Yes, it is someones else's turn to pull the yoke.

Question #2 Answer: Yes.
Woody DelCorso said…
Answer to Question #1: Yes, it is someone else's turn to carry the yoke

Answer to Question #2: Yes

Popular posts from this blog

Loss of a Giant

NFL protests America