9/11 2012 Passport

11 years ago, I was a music minister in a church and a "younger" IT manager at Capital One. My family and I were plodding along in a mission to use music to make a difference using my earnings from the corporate world largely to finance that dream.  We were on our first ever family vacation at Virginia Beach and were perhaps not so engaged in politics, power and even a world perspective.

The planes struck and suddenly we were at war.. all of us.  I stood on the balcony of my hotel and watched the Roosevelt battle group of the US Navy go to sea with full knowledge that many more would die soon in retribution for this horrific action against my country. I was sad and proud simultaneously.

I am not a soldier. As a musician and a leader, I resolved even more deeply to make my music and my leadership more meaningful and to strive to teach others. Singing has a mysterious impact. It unifies, it inspires.. it inflames passions.  Leadership forces me to make practical decisions, to apply my knowledge and generate results.. jobs.. projects.. management..

I doubled my efforts at Cap One.. to lead.. to be a good citizen and I was rewarded.
I doubled my efforts in my music ministry and I was told to stop rocking the boat.. get in line.. ultimately, that I was no longer needed at that church...

Everything changed.

5 years ago,  We had founded DaCapoVa and our journey for both music and ministry was evolving. We invested in passports for our four children.  Then the economy collapsed... I was eventually forced to change jobs.. leaving my security,  and beginning a new "journey".  We had plans to take our family abroad to tour and perhaps even sing in beautiful Italy.. to try and recapture some of our shared heritage and infuse passion into our children, but there was no money.

Everything changed.

Today, our children's passports expire... and that makes me sad. But... the sun rose this AM.. I am blessed to sing, and teach and work... DaCapo is free to evolve into whatever it will be.  Tracee has recently accepted a new position as a youth choir director.. My kids are fine young citizens and singers.  We can freely choose to renew those passports and perhaps,  we will make it to Italy before mine and Tracee's expire.. ;-)

Every day is but an opportunity.


Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.
Be very sure now, you who have been trained to a self-sufficient maturity, that you enter into a generous common life with those who have trained you, sharing all the good things that you have and experience.  Galatians 6:4-6 (Message)


Now fear the Lord and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. 15 But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.  Joshua 24:14-15 (NIV)

Comments

Popular Posts