Rock and a hard place.. Rights & Freedom

As luck would have it, I am actually sick and at home resting for the day where the new health care bill will be signed into law.  The irony is overwhelming.  I am torn on this one in so many ways.  I am pleased to see a society trying to do good for its people, but I am ashamed of our methods and the outcome.  I don't believe that society can fix itself.  I believe that we must individually choose to help one another from the bottom up.  This great society can not be legislated top down. We do need healthcare reform, but right now, that is not what is killing the patient.  The out of control spending is #1 on the triage list as I score it and it began with the spending habits and entitlements expectations of each of us.. individually... 

The United States of America is spending its way into oblivion.. and that's a fact jack.  I know because I did it too. I overspent, relied on credit(money that I didn't have), and hope for a future that was unlikely to ever materialize.  I was only able to go to college due to a collosal debt load and the charity and benevolence of several wonderful patrons of the arts.  My family has paid a steep price for all of that debt, and I am only coming out of the woods now after years of hard work, and discipline.  Through all of those years, I have made it a core tenet of my existence to give back to those around me and I always will.  As a citizen that is my right. It can not and should not be forced upon me by an out of control gov't bureaucracy. That just doesn't feel right.  

The concept of "out of the woods" only means that I like everyone else is back on an even playing field. I have to earn the right to have things. I might hope for charity and sacrifice from others but I can never, ever, plan for it or expect it.  I recognize the hard place that we are all in because I have seen it.  The difference in my mind is that I never expected others to fix it for me. I never expected to take from others to raise myself up. I was indeed blessed and continue to be blessed by the charity of others and I am thankful, but something is perverted in my analysis if that charity comes from the gov't.

That is the crux of my problem with our current plans.  The media calls it "redistribution".. I call it a culture of handouts and entitlements.  I too am appalled at the costs of healthcare and the families who are forced into bankruptcy because of the "system". I believe in helping others, in a society where we choose to help one another, and where we have freedoms to do so..  I fear that we are not getting that.

FDR wasn't wrong when he proposed his Economic Bill of Rights. Those principles are sound..but they must be earned by individuals, not granted by a gov't which simply does not have that power to grant.  The role of our government should be to protect, not provide.  Thus we enter this nexus between a rock and a hard place. A country divides itself fighting about differences as we always have.. instead of seeking agreement.

I cannot grant to you a right which I do not have the right to grant.  That is the fact here. The gov't can't grant the people a job, or healthcare because it simply cannot afford it.  Only people can choose to sacrifice for others, granting them a "right" to their earnings.  The government can't do it, the church can't do it...  We have been trying this for years, upon years, upon years, and all we know is that it does not work. In the end, the solution is not law and mandate, but choice and freedom coupled with love and charity.


===========================
Second Bill of Rights (FDR's Economic bill of rights)
  • The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;
  • The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
  • The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
  • The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;
  • The right of every family to a decent home;
  • The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;
  • The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;
  • The right to a good education.

Comments

D. Toole said…
Are you saying that government spending is somehow responsible for soaring health-care costs?

You do not have to earn the right to have things. You have the right to own things by law. You have to earn the money to pay for them. :-)

"The role of our government should be to protect, not provide." Are you splitting hairs, here? The government PROVIDES protection with the armed services, fire and police departments, etc. Other nations have decided to protect their citizens' health, too. What is your opposition to this really based upon? The right to die in a gutter? (We already have that.) The right to poverty? (We have that, too.) Can you make this a bit clearer?

"I cannot grant to you a right which I do not have the right to grant." Are you implying that the government doesn't have the right to grant rights to citizens in the area of health-care? Why?

Each of the economic rights that are listed by FDR have past laws that applied. Most of them were repealed during the 1980s and '90s. And the Supreme Court, at the same time and since, has been stacked with people who favor corporations over individuals, especially farmers, so that almost all the rights listed no longer have standing.

Let me give you just a couple of examples. The first right lists the right to have a job. This does not GIVE you a job, just the right to get one. During the '60s and '70s there were laws written so that QUALIFIED people could not be turned away because of race. Most of those laws have now disappeared or have been reduced in force because of Supreme Court rulings. Did you know that? The result is that people must sue AT THEIR OWN COST for redress.

Farmers' rights have been constantly eroded by big farming corporations like Monsanto. It's sickening.

The right to a good education has long been upheld, at least until recently. Now, Texas literally dictates what is printed in textbooks because they are the largest state and buy the most books. History texts now have creationism replacing evolution theory. Classic, award-winning novels are banned because they don't pass the conservative panels in Texas.

There are examples like this for each of these economic rights. What I'm getting at is that government may not be able to provide the citizens with a home or an education or farming rights, but it CAN provide the economic policy to encourage them.
Jeff Prillaman said…
Gov't is not responsible for soaring healthcare costs.

Citizens have no rights to things or even jobs. those must be earned. Gov't can't grant what it doesn't have.

Gov't can't provide anything without first taking "by force" from its citizenry.

Gov't does not have the right to force purchase of healthcare, though perhaps it should.. if people freely choose.. just the same way other shared services are funded/provided.

FDR's list was rejected because it created a nanny state of federal gov't intervention, directly interdicting personal freedoms. just as it should have been...

Wherever opportunity can be provided by private interests, localities, or states.. it should be..

Monsanto should be regulated in my opinion.. thought it may not be constitutional.
AntiDiscrimination laws are necessary but very tricky to navigate as they directly interdict free trade staffing models.

Companies are made up of people.. they are not inherently evil.. but they can and do make poor decisions..

Education is the responsibility of parents and children alike.. not the gov't.. A free citizenry can choose to educate its children with public, private, religious, or home education..

Censorship is not new.. and is wrong... but practicality in large institutionalized education models forces selection and prioritization.. just as religious institutions do.. not good, but best that can be done..

Deciding what a "good" education is.. is a rabbit hole of ideological bunk... for discussion.. not my expertise, or passion... I educate my kids.. and all that I can personally influence.. and that is enough for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Loss of a Giant

NFL protests America