Forecast

My whole life seems to be consumed with looking and planning for the future these days. Resource and organizational changes are creating a good opportunity for me to grow and develop at work.. Almost all of our project and team successes are a function of our ability to accurately estimate and forecast for the future.

Good forecasts are completed at the appropriate level.. not too high, not too detailed, and for the appropriate time frame. Life is like that...

Wasn't able to go to choir practice last couple of weeks... not performing and leading in a musical outlet makes me feel terrible.. prone to mood swings, compulsive work habits... I am hopeful that some opportunities to make music will present themselves soon. I need that creative outlet..

Another forecast: Somehow, I need to find the right balance between obligations to family and the need to earn money, serving others, and serving myself... To be successful in the first two.. I have to put more focus on the third...

Funny quote from Steve Martin's movie Parenthood - "women have choices, men just have obligations" .. true or not, maybe the reality is more a function of choice not predestination.

Comments

Anonymous said…
...and where does serving God fall into the plan.
Isn't using your talent in the choir worth making time. It is a form of worship.
Its not all about money. Your children will be grown before you know it. That's where your wisest investment is made and being with your children is also giving praise to God for these immeasurable gifts entrusted to you.
Jeff Prillaman said…
serving God is the centerpiece for everything that I do...how to go about that is the real question...

serving God is a function of identity/heritage and skills combined with actions, ritual worship and even planning...

certainly singing in choir is "worth making time"...but so are a lot of things including conducting, solo performing, working to provide for family, family visits, travel, even.. spending time sharing with neighbors and frends.. there is no prioritization matrix that works uniformly...

Agreed on the kids...that is exactly why my focus is almost solely on them... Money is not the focus..but stability is essential...I am confident in the path that has been set for me..if I can just stay on the path.

I do have to take care of myself so that I am able to care for the other items on the list...singing as the professional that I am as well as conducting will certainly be a part of any healthy resource forecast for the future...
Charles Hulin said…
Hey Jeff!

Because of your last couple of posts, I'm writing with a comment about performance opportunities.

We're both in situations in which we aren't performing every day, often not even every week. While I sometimes wish I were performing more, I have also come to appreciate this rhythm for two reasons.

1. Even though I don't have unlimited opportunities for on-stage experimentation, I do have more time to think about and plan for each up-coming performance. I think this is an important qualitative difference, even a privilege, between our artistic work and that of busy touring artists.

2. The smaller number of performances we do, and the way they are spread out in time, allows us to see them as important goals - occasions about which to pray and occasions to focus on in hopes of something important happening spiritually.

In light of all that, I look forward to our upcoming Christmas concert at Woodland Heights!

Your friend,
Charles

Popular posts from this blog

Loss of a Giant

NFL protests America