Crisis followup..

Fog seems to be lifting.. I am sick now, but thankfully it is only a return of the dreaded stomach bug and I can handle it. Tracee has managed her test and medications well today and seems are a bit more normal, at least on the surface.

It feels like there is some sort of giant elephant in the room that we are ignoring... Not sure I can put my finger on it exactly.

What is normal these days..? Home, friends, work, church..

Home: state of total confusion..
Friends: thank God they are there.. but I miss so many folks from Branch's and it is hard to stay in touch with people.. hard to define a baseline context for many of the more distant relationships.
Work: going great, I am motivated and trying hard, our teams are succeeding and we have strong support.. good to still have a job in today's climate
Church: We want to plug in more at HRBC but that seems to be relevant only to my relationship with Philip and Bert.. Is that selfish? maybe.. but true nonetheless. Got a wonderful letter from Randy.. that is one friendship related to church that we plan on nurturing.. what a neat guy. Kids will start wed night programs next week so we will go back into the "swing"... maybe that will help.

Meals being delivered are making a huge difference, but man it is hard to just accept help.. I guess I am too proud all around.

Prayers seem to be working all around. Maybe we can be in some sort or routine by the weekend...

Comments

Anonymous said…
WHOA HERE! DANGER....DANGER.
Church is about your relationship to GOD...It is all about worship, being filled with the Holy Spirit, learning, loving, growing and serving. If your "cup" is turned upside down, it is not ready to be filled. Don't major on the minors. Be willing to be filled. Be willing to learn and be willing to be patient...Dear Father help me to wait upon you. Help me to understand your "time."Help me to understand when you are trying to slow us down and help me to be obedient. In the name of your most of precious Son, I ask these things. AMEN......BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD!
Jeff Prillaman said…
sure, that is true and that is always in the forefront of our approach.. but the question here is also about how to select a church and what if anything is keeping us from forming relationships with our fellow church members. I have felt the presence of God in worship in every church we have attended in the last months..God is clearly a part of our life and is our focus.... but we aren't connecting well with the other Christians at HRBC...does that mean that they are not important or that we are doing something wrong? I don't think so.. I think it is just some simple sociology at play...God is working through all of us... he has shown me the importance of the community he surrounds me with...He acts through through us not to us..
I am on fire for God, but I am sooo disillusioned with the institution of the church right now...even at HRBC.. I am seeking some sort of balance and haven't found it yet...maybe it isn't there..maybe I am seeking too much control, maybe I do need to just be still...
Anonymous said…
AHA! I think, at last, you may have answered your own question in the last line.
Stop, look, listen and follow.
Jeff Prillaman said…
maybe... and maybe a missional approach to living includes intentional relationship building inside as well as outside the church walls.

all of us need help and a support community... to assume God will provide it for us with little or no action or accountability on our own part seems naive...
Anonymous said…
What exactly do you want to happen? It sounds like you have specific requirements for relationships.
I guess the question is...
can anyone satisfy what you are expecting. When I read and reread what you have been saying I keep visualizing a dog walking his owner rather that the owner walking the dog. Are you straining at the leash?
No, its not naive and I never said anything about waiting for God to provide. That comment sounds very judgmental and angry.
It seems more like you want us to confirm what you write rather than giving another way to look at things. Try not to sound so intolerant of another viewpoint.
Perhaps that gets in the way of relationships.
Jeff Prillaman said…
who is being judgemental and intolerant is an interesting question... I am not requesting anything of others...simply voicing my wishes, concerns and thoughts.. no confirmation required..a consistent systematic theological answer is not the goal... a dialogue is...

if you disagree, feel free to say it...

my focus is on my own shortomings and what we(me and my family) can do differently to build new relationships where we are not "in charge".. How we manage our own ego and actions.. Very little of what I have said or say has anything to do with others directly...

we affect change by changing ourselves first...almost never by expecting or directing others to change

the church as an institution has failed at teaching relationship building and discipleship skills--results speak for themselves over the last 50 years alone

I seek a new approach/thinking...not a better implementation of the older model.. no judgement here.. just searching

"There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well under the new."

Niccolò Machiavelli -- The Prince

Popular Posts